Sunday, October 17, 2010

Balancing Act

How many young moms and dads are trying to juggle way too many things at once?  Kids, taking care of your home, school, work, friends, family, etc etc and the list goes on and on.. I find it EXTREMELY hard to set aside time for myself, I find myself neglecting me very often.  However, there is still that negative connotation of young parents as being lazy, that horrible term "welfare mommies", bad parents , neglectful, and always out partying/drinking rather than taking care of their kids.  I resent these views SO much, being a mom who is trying to juggle so many things at once, I hate that I always have to deal with those negative stereotypes and comments I've heard in the past here and there.  I work hard, I am tired ALL the time, I never get to "pamper" myself anymore, buy myself nice clothes, or even hang out with friends.  Between my daughter, school, and housework, I am constantly busy, over loaded with work, and exhausted.  Not to mention the lack of social service programs there are out there for young parents or single parents, it's really hard to find adequate support that we so greatly need.  Speaking of which though, there is a sign outside my daycare saying they are opening this "Jane Street Hub" not too far from me, which will apparently be a drop-in center for parents in the area, doctors/dentists etc, play area, counselling, and all other sorts of great resources.  THIS is what I am talking about.  I was so happy to see this poster up.  Anyways, thats what I'm thinking right now.  Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the blog Taylor! The lack of social service programs for young and/or single mothers out there is ridiculous. It`s hard enough for mothers to manage childcare and work responsibilities as it is, let alone adding school to the mix. I don`t know how young mothers do it. I think this blog is great & really important because even though the issues are geared toward young mothers, these are issues that we all as a society should be concerned with and take collective responsibility for. We need programs and policy that are supportive and facilitate a manageable balance of all of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like being busy and do manage to make time for MOST but not ALL of the things that I would like to do aside from school and the kids. When I was living in Kitchener I found that there were a tons of great programs from single and or young mothers. There were even programs geared towards busy families with more than one parent. I haven't however found the same services or even close to them offered here in Mississauga, well not any that I could ever afford. You're right when you say that we need more programs or facilities that help "lighten the load" for all families who might need them.

    ReplyDelete